It is important to take the dosage as per doctor’s instructions. Usually, Lipitor is prescribed for an extended duration and if the patients discontinue the medication, cholesterol level may increase again. The following directions are important to patients taking Lipitor:
- Take one dose every day at the same time.
- One can take the drug with or without food
- Take the drug with a low fat diet.
- Do not chew or crush the tablet. The tablet should be swallowed whole with glass of water.
Factors like age of patients, their medical condition, severity of disease, etc., are considered before recommending dosage to them.
- For most of the patients, the recommended dosage of Lipitor is 10-20mg tablet taken once every day.
- Patients, who have high level of cholesterol, may be advised initial dosage of 40 mg, taken once in a day.
- Children in between the age group of 10-17 years are recommended to start with 10mg or 20mg of Lipitor tablet, taken once every day. The actual dose is determined depending upon the severity of the condition.
Missed Dose and Overdose of Lipitor
If a person misses the dosage of Lipitor, he is advised to take it as soon as he remembers it. However, if it is almost the time of next dosage, he is advised to skip the missed dosage and resume with usual dosing schedule. Do not make a mistake of doubling the dosage in order to compensate with missed dosage.
In case of over dosage, patients must seek medical help immediately. They can even call the poison help line for getting immediate help.
It is advised to store the drug at room temperature between 20-25 degrees C. Keep the drug away from light and moisture. Keep medicines away from reach of children and pets. Discard medicine properly when it is expired or no longer required.