One should follow the given usage instructions while taking Nexium:
- Nexium tablet should be swallowed whole without biting or chewing with a glass full of water.
- Esomeprazole must be consumed at least one hour before the meal.
- Patients should stick to the doctor’s prescribed dosage to maximize the effect of the drug.
- The drug should be taken at the same time every day.
- Patients having difficulty in swallowing the capsule can mix the capsule content in water or applesauce to take it easily.
- Patients should not suddenly stop the medication.
The dosages of Esomeprazole vary for different treatments. The prescribed Nexium dosages for different diseases include:
GERD – GERD patients are advised with 20 mg or 40 mg of Nexium taken once in a day for 4 to 8 weeks. Children between the age group of 1 to 11 years are prescribed the dosage of 10 mg to 20 mg taken once in a day for up to 8 weeks. Intestinal Ulcers - The recommended adult dose is 40 mg taken once in a day for the intestinal ulcers patients (caused by H. pylori). The patients have to take 1,000 mg amoxicillin and 500 Mg clarithromycin along with Nexium. Stomach Ulcers – For treating stomach ulcers patients are given 20 mg or 40 mg of Nexium once in a day for up to 6 months. Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome–Patients are advised with a dosage of 40 mg taken twice in a day.
Missed Dose and Overdose of Nexium
If a dose of Nexium is missed, the patients can take the missed dose as soon as they remember it. However, patients should not take the missed does if it is time for the next dose. Patients should not take double or extra does to compensate for the missed does.
Overdoes of Nexium
Overdose victims may suffer from headache, nausea, drowsiness, confusion, blurred vision, fast heartbeat, dry mouth, sweating, shortness of breath, seizure, tremor, tachycardia, loss of coordination, diaphoresis, or flushing. The patients should be immediately provided with medical attention. One can also seek advice from their local poison helpline.
Nexium must be stored in a cool, dry place and at room temperature between 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F). The container of Nexium should be closed tightly and kept out of the reach of children. Expired and unused medications must be safely disposed.